On Writing Fantasy
Here are some Thoughts on Fantasy posts that may be helpful to fantasy writers:
- How Long Should a Fantasy Book Be?
- What Makes a Good Book Tagline?
- Uncharted Territory: Things I Rarely See in Fantasy
- 10 Common Mistakes I See in Epic Fantasy Writing
- 10 Common Mistakes I See in Paranormal Romance and YA Fantasy Writing
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Dragons Fresh
- Those First Few Pages: 8 Hooks That Get Me
- Getting the Last Line: 10 Kinds of Closing Sentences
- Sex Scenes in Fantasy Novels: When Do They Work?
For a full list of Thoughts on Fantasy posts about writing, click here.
Writing and Publishing Advice
Here are some websites and blogs with great writing and publishing tips:
- Terrible Minds
- Jane Friedman
- Writer Unboxed
- Query Shark
- Janet Reid, Literary Agent
- Mythic Scribes (fantasy-specific writing advice articles)
- Fantasy Faction (occasional fantasy-specific writing advice articles)
- Fantasy author Brandon Sanderson also does a great series of lectures on writing sci-fi and fantasy which he shares on his YouTube channel
And here’s a great online video editor if you want to make book trailers or videos related to your writing.
Good Books About Writing
Here are some books about writing that I’ve found useful.